5 Facts You Need To Know About Kathon Methylchloroisothiazolinone
1. If you find the name of this compound unpronounceable, don’t worry – it has around 40 alternative names, so there’s sure to be one you can get your tongue around. That said, it makes it more difficult to identify exactly what is contained in your cosmetic and skin care products, and you really need to know, because Kathon Methylchloroisothiazolinone – or Kathon CG as it’s commonly known – is thought to be responsible for many of the common allergic reactions to skin care and cosmetic products.
2. Kathon CG is a preservative which is frequently used in cosmetics and personal care products to prevent the growth of mould, bacteria and fungi and extend the shelf life of the product. It’s often included in rinse off products such as shower gels and shampoos, although it’s also used in foundations, mascaras, concealers and eyeshadows, along with other cosmetics. It’s also present in the antifreeze in your car, and is used to preserve the wood in your garden shed, or the log cabin in the mountains that you might get away to every now and again.
3. The first question to ask is – do you really want to put something on your face that will also stop your car freezing up or your shed from rotting? Defenders of Kathon CG say that it’s an excellent preservative, and without it your personal care products wouldn’t last much longer than a week or two. They also claim that, in the small quantities used in cosmetic products, it’s completely harmless. Its use in cosmetics has increased over recent years.
4. However, the fact remains that Kathon CG is responsible for an increasing number of cases of contact dermatitis, and many of these can be traced back to cosmetic use and detergent use – sometimes for long periods. The risk of allergic reaction is also increased if the skin is broken. In fact, some dermatologists estimate that Kathon CG is responsible for at least 10% of the severe skin allergies that present in British clinics, and many doctors are calling for the chemical to be banned in the UK.
5. If you are worried about the chemicals in your cosmetics, maybe it’s time to change to natural skin care products that are free from potentially harmful chemicals and preservatives. Naturally Mediterranean’s skin care range contains nothing but the best natural ingredients, sourced from the Mediterranean region. You won’t find any of Kathon CG’s many names on their ingredients panels!
Is your fat making you inflammed? – Jamaica Gleaner (subscription)
Is your fat making you inflammed? Jamaica Gleaner (subscription). Inflammation is the body’s first defence system, and most of the time it protects us from harmful germs, abnormal cells while promoting healing after injury. … It is an organ that makes chemicals that influence our appetite, hormones and immune system.and more »
More at…Is your fat making you inflammed?